COMING Summer 2022!

Twilight Of The Dogs is being released on BluRay and DVD Winter 2022! Tell your friends and sign up for our blog mailing list! Don't miss it!

Friday, November 26, 2021

Post #6 - WHY it's taken 26 YEARS to see a release of TWILIGHT OF THE DOGS?

         WHY it's taken 26 YEARS to see a release of           TWILIGHT OF THE DOGS?

By John Ellis

 Hello everyone! This post is concerning TWILIGHT OF THE DOGS, the never-before-released film I produced and directed in the mid-1990’s. Title this "things I've never shared"...
 
Ninth Day of shooting.
 
It’s a near-future science fiction film about the human spirit in the future, during a pandemic (!) that's threatening to wipe out humanity, and an evil opportunistic ruler who used to be a reality-TV star (!). This surprisingly prescient story, written in 1993 by author/actor Tim Sullivan (from a story by the both of us), is going to be released to BluRay and DVD by my MCE Releasing Group in about six months (“street-date” to be announced).
Destiny's End novel by Co-star Time Sullivan, published January 1, 1988

Why was it never released? It was shot on film (by a Star Trek camera crew member), is loaded with special effects and action and a central love story featuring a brilliant and lovely actress (named Gage Sheridan), and had everything going for it. 
  
Co-star Gage Sheridan in partial costume test, end of May 1993

But I hadn’t counted on one thing: sabotage from within, from day one, before, during and after (long after, even) it was finished (the best I could do given the problems that were "created"). Halfway through the shoot (when the money was running out) I gave everyone a chance to leave: they all stayed. Most cast and crew only got half of their money (due to my principal investor pulling out due to the sabotage).
 
The other star of the picture, the Russian BMP1 armored personnel carrier
 
 I finished it well enough to get a distributor, and get sales money to pay everyone, but somebody had warned them away, several admitted the fact to my face, and one was even warned nearly right in from of me during shooting! I ended up signing with a shitty little sales-agency (who never actually released the film OR returned even a dime to us) who tied up the film’s rights for.ten.years. I had moved from Washington DC to LA to be close to them (and my kids), and they (the agents) promptly moved to Connecticut!!! I couldn’t touch the film for TEN.YEARS.  
  
Me shooting an effects insert for the movie EPOCH at Western Stages in 2001. Photo by Mike McGee
 
 
Then the depression came. I put one foot in front of the other for that ten year period, doing special effects for mostly shitty little (and shitty major) studios. The film had been made as a result of a divorce I didn’t want, which in itself caused a lot of damage. I fell deeply in love again during the making of the film but unforeseen circumstances (some caused by the sabotage) drove us apart. Grieving is the price we pay for love. 
 
Depression set in, in 1996. Photo by Rosemary Carr Shad
 
The depression has lasted for two decades, until last year, when it suddenly clearly became possible (due to some good and talented Industry friends) to actually restore and finish the film in a manner I could be proud of. AND release it myself. I believe my guardian angel (my mother) and other guardian angels at play kept me recently from making a shitty deal that would keep me from getting enough money to pay those that are owed. I believe me being forced to fully restore and release the Steve Canyon TV series, and learning all I had to learn to do so, makes my own release possible (through my MCE RELEASING).
 
Most of our main cast and crew June 16, 1993. Photo by Richard Latoff

The film needs to be out there, and seen (and owned on disc) by the 350+ people that were involved in making the film…the time is right, before problems with my hands and eyes make it impossible forever. The saboteur didn’t give a DAMN about the cast and crew’s livelihoods, and 10 year best friend and business partner, only about ego, telling people that “I didn’t know what I was doing”, and even though not true, that would make it so by sabotage (which is documented).
 
Ralph Bluemke and I working out a problem on set, June 1993. Photo bu Richard Latoff
So there you have a tiny bit of the story of what happened. I had to get it off my chest. I hope when it comes out, there will be enough sales to straighten out what is owed, and free me from this yoke of oppression which has lasted over two decades.
Gage Sheridan gets a full costume fitting from Wardrobe Designer Nancy Handwork, end of May, 1993. Photo by Richard Latoff
 
And thank you to all those who have stood by me over the years and for your patience.
I am confident that it’s a fun and interesting movie! Thank you for your time.
 
Me in the location production office, May 22, 1994


 
I'm no saint, either, there have been times over the years I've questioned, "is it all worth it?",  and, ultimately, had no choice but to hold onto everything (the mountains of materials) and take the brickbats and tears they caused, until...apparently, this time, as things are finally coming to pass in a manner that I can be proud of. We shall see. - JRE
 
(Originally published on my Facebook page (in a slightly different form) on October 21, 2021) 
 
-30-

 The movie is coming spring 2022 on BluRay and DVD!

Subscribe below to The Twilight Of The Dogs Blog!

New post every Friday morning!

* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd )
Email Format

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post #17 - We Are BACK!!!

  "The best laid plans..." Here we are 5 months since my last post...Linda had the hip revision surgery at the end of March,, wh...